The 11-14 minutes speaking section of the IELTS exam is a face-to-face conversation between the test taker and the IELTS examiner. The test, which primarily assesses the candidate’s grammar, fluency and vocabulary, is divided into three parts in total and includes questions on a variety of topics such as places, nature, family, hobbies, media, entertainment, technology, sports, exercise, culture, and so on.
Let’s discuss each part of the IELTS Speaking Test separately. We’ve also included latest IELTS speaking questions 2023 in each section to provide a better understanding of the types of questions asked.
Start Your IELTS Speaking Test Preparation
IELTS Speaking Test Format- Part 1 (Introduction & interview)
IELTS Speaking test sample part 1 is an introductory section that includes basic questions about you. The questions can be on anything, such as your education, studies, work, family history, and so on. The discussion lasts for about 4 to 5 minutes.
The IELTS speaking part 1 goes on like this
First, the examiner will ask you three to four questions about your work, study, place of residence, or anything else. Then he’ll ask a few more questions that may be based on your answers. If you don’t understand a question, you may request the examiner to repeat it.
Latest IELTS Speaking Questions 2023 – Part 1
- What subjects are you studying?
- Do you like your job?
- Do you prefer typing or handwriting when you are writing?
- What do you usually do on your birthday?
- What did you do last weekend?
- Have you ever lost your keys?
- Do you think it is important for you to celebrate your birthday?
- Do you like eating chocolate? Why or why not?
- Do you live in a house or a flat?
- What snacks do you like to eat?
- Do you often stay up late?
- Do you like getting up early in the morning?
- Where are you from?
- Is there any technology you want to buy?
- Did you do puzzles in your childhood?
- Who is more important to you – family or friends?
- Do you prefer cold or hot weather?
- Do you often listen to one type of music?
- What kind of person is it easy to make friends with?
- Do you have a job right now?
- How often do you wear jewelry?
- Can you describe the view from your windows?
IELTS Speaking Test Format – Part 2 (Speaking on a Given Cue Card Topic)
In the IELTS speaking part 2, test-takers have to select a clue card topic and speak on it. They are given one minute to think and two minutes to speak. The topics can be anything from personal to general.
Latest IELTS Speaking Questions 2023 – Part 2
- Describe a city you would recommend as a nice place to live (not your hometown).
- Describe a person who inspired you to do something interesting.
- Describe a time you decided to wait for something.
- Describe a historical period you would like to know more about.
- Describe a time when you had a problem shopping online.
- Describe the first day at school that you remember.
- Describe a daily routine that you enjoy.
- Describe a skill or something you’d like to learn one day.
- Describe a time you complained about something and it was resolved.
- Describe an important building in your hometown or city.
- Describe a restaurant you like.
- Describe a movie you watched recently and would like to watch again.
- Describe a film you didn’t like.
- Describe a time when you are very busy.
- Describe a sport you like to watch or play.
- Describe the home of someone you know well and whom you often visit.
- Describe a fashionable person.
- Describe a time when someone asked for your opinion.
- Describe an object that you think is beautiful.
- Describe an unforgettable meal you had.
IELTS Speaking Test Format – Part 3 (The Two-Way Discussion on the Topic)
The topic from part 2 is discussed in more detail in IELTS speaking part 3. The examiner asks around 8-10 questions about topic 2. The purpose of this section is to assess the candidate’s ability to articulate viewpoints, provide justification, theorize, and explain a problem. The discussion continues for 4 to 5 minutes.
Latest IELTS Speaking Questions 2023 – Part 3
- Why do some people like a slow-paced life?
- Why do some people dislike giving their opinions?
- Do you think it is helpful to give money as gifts?
- What sports do young people like to do now?
- What kinds of rewards are important at work?
- Do adults and children have enough time for leisure activities nowadays?
- Why is online shopping so popular these days?
- What kinds of subjects did you enjoy learning when you were younger?
- Should children be given strict routines at home and at school?
- Why are there fewer people going to the cinema to watch movies nowadays?
- Do you think customers’ complaints will improve products or services?
- Is school always the best place to learn something new?
- Why do people learn foreign languages?
- What kinds of services or products do people in your country often complain about?
- Do you think the intelligence of a person is important?
- What qualities do you think a good teacher should have?
- Why do people sometimes eat fast food?
- What kinds of jobs need inspiration?
- What problems do customers often have while online shopping?
- How can traditional culture and other cultures coexist?
The IELTS Exam is a globally renowned English language proficiency exam that applicants take to demonstrate their English language proficiency while planning to study or migrate abroad. The IELTS test includes two types: IELTS general and IELTS academic, with each having a somewhat distinct format and objective. The IELTS exam is broken into four sections and checks test-taker’s English reading, writing, listening, and speaking abilities. For both IELTS academic and IELTS general, the IELTS speaking section is the same.
Also Read: IELTS Exam Pattern – Detailed Guide
The IELTS Exam is important for those who wish to study or migrate abroad. In an attempt to assist those in better IELTS preparation, the above information has been compiled. The questions are useful to prepare for IELTS speaking more appropriately and can certainly help you in Achieving a High Band in IELTS Exam. For further assistance to do IELTS preparation, our IELTS experts are just a call away.
Enroll Now in IELTS Exam!