Travel Bans for COVID-19 in Canada – an Overview
The continuous impacts of COVID-19 are bounding Canada to modify its traveling guidelines regularly. The latest changes have been introduced after the new COVID variant ‘Omicron’ hit the community. Latterly, the country loosened restrictions on flights entering from South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Egypt, Nigeria, Malawi, and Zimbabwe.
Let’s explore the latest guideline alterations made by Canada after the introduction of COVID-19.
Travel Restrictions in Canada
- In December 2021, the sudden outbreak of the Omicron variant insisted Canada modify the traveling guidelines. As per the new guidelines, travelers who visited Nigeria, Malawi, Egypt, and African countries in the past 14 days were not allowed to cross Canadian boundaries. The Canadian citizens and Canadian PRs were permitted to enter Canada but only under strict traveling conditions.
- In September 2021, the country allowed fully vaccinated travelers to travel to Canada. Foreign nationals who were not fully vaccinated were not allowed to enter the country except if they had a valid escape clause.
- In February 2021, Canada implemented new travel bans in order to minimize the transmission of COVID-19 in the country. The Canadian government made the statement that all Canadians should suspend or delay their non-essential international traveling plans. If people plan international trips for non-essential reasons, they may have to face issues after coming back. Also, new guidelines such as hotel stay were announced for air travelers flying to Canada.
- In October 2020, Canada relaxed the travel bans for family members. The border controls were still in effect for non-essential trips, but alternations were made to enable family members to enter Canada.
Country-Specific Travel Restrictions
- In September 2021, flights from India to Canada continued. Canada loosened restrictions on flights from India after over 5 months the second wave of the deadly virus was seen by the country.
- In July 2021, Canada expanded its flight ban against India. On April 22nd, 2021, the very first restrictions for air travel from India to Canada were placed. The restriction had been stretched 4 times after that. The prohibition was expected to end on July 21, 2021, however, continued for more 30 days.
- In April 2021, Flights from India and Pakistan were blocked in Canada. Canada held an online press conference announcing a notable update in Canadian trips. Because of a ramp-up in COVID cases in India and Pakistan, Canada made the decision to disallow flights from the two nations.
Since the day COVID-19 began, its impacting international trips heavily. Like all other countries, Canada also inducted shutdowns, altered traveling guidelines, and brought many other necessary changes. To safeguard the country from the expansion of COVID-19, the authorities modified traveling policies multiple times. Hence, staying in tune with the latest traveling guidelines is imperative for the aspirants striving to immigrate to Canada.
Need help to acquire Canada PR and immigrate to Canada? Our Canada immigration consultants are there to assist you. Our skillful and experienced Canada Immigration Consultants have perfect solutions to your immigration needs and can help you to make the right steps towards Canada PR. Book an appointment for the best help!